Monday, December 5, 2011

Intentionality

So the hubby and I are trying to do a lot of things these days. Trying to get back on track with eating healthy after the holidays (and before the next holiday). We've also started keeping prayer cards to help us be more intentional about praying for our friends and family.

The other thing we're going to try to do, is exercise regularly... dun dun dun.

Exercise is not something that comes naturally for me. Running is especially hard for me when there is no goal in mind. We went for a run last night and discovered that my husband is like a diesel engine. Apparently after a slow start up, he can run at a consistent speed indefinitely. I, however, am much more like a wind-up toy car. I have to have an end goal in mind in order to enjoy running. If I have a reason to get to the next light post as soon as possible, I'll run my little heart out. But if I have no idea where we are going to end our run, I pay too much attention to the cramps in my side, or the cold sting in my lungs, and have trouble enjoying the run.

I played volleyball for about 6 years, which isn't a sport that is heavy on the running. You run to stay in shape, just so you have the energy to spring off the gym floor 20,000 times an hour. No long distances involved. Basically you need to be a ball of potential energy on your toes at all times. You don't realize you're working out because you're distracted by the things that need to be done. That is the kind of exercise my body was made for.

Anyways, running has gotten better since we've added goals. We'll sometimes run 2 miles to get coffee, or froyo, and then walk back. Maybe you're thinking the goals defeat the means in this case, but getting out and being active is a good start for us. Sometimes the only goal I need to set is "get to the next mailbox" and then when I get there I'll set another one, and so on.

We're also going to incorporate some yoga. We did a little bit last night to see if it's something we'd like to do more of, and I'm so excited that we like it! At first, I wasn't sure if my other half would enjoy it, but he thinks it's really relaxing (when you're done) and could help with regaining some of his flexibility. He used to do a lot of martial arts, so we're thinking the flexibility would help us add some martial arts to the workout too.

I got a yoga book from the library. Speaking of which, everyone should go to their local library! It's awesome! I'll write a post later for that one.

I've also started making all our bread for sandwiches and such!
And I'm almost done with the scarves I'm making for Christmas Presents! Woo!!


No comments:

Post a Comment